Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Two Years and a Lifetime

The 2nd anniversary of one of the most violent, heartbreaking events in my entire life is approaching. I'd be lying if I said that I haven't thought about it. It's hard to believe that two whole years have gone by, but it's equally as difficult to fully appreciate all the progress I've made and how far I've come. Some days I am full of pride- other days I can only acknowledge how long the road is ahead- and how far I need to go. I've learned a lot of lessons along the way- I've learned that things I've done in my life seem to perpetuate the trauma I've experienced. I've learned that living with PTSD is like living with a metastasizing tumor at times...I never know when it might pop back up, never know when my skeletons might jump out of the closet and make an appearance. I never really know if it is gone, never really know if it will return. If I don't take care of myself, it just eats me up inside. If I think about it too much and interfere with my body's natural process- it only exacerbates the problem. I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, I've created incredible triumphs in my life as well. I've grown, I've hurt, I've had joy- and I've suffered. I've loved, and I've hated.. I've sung, and I've screamed. I often ask myself, what now? What do I do with the emotions that still live inside me? What do I do to deal with the fear of approaching .. unfamiliar territory?

Last year on the one year anniversary, I had some very .. tangible flashbacks. I experienced memories in which I could literally feel, touch, smell and see what happened to me. I remembered parts of the night that I had previously blacked out- parts of the night that pieced together the sequence of events of when I was raped the night of August 25, 2007. I remembered some of the things he said, remembered how it felt when he forced himself on me. The smile on his face, the taunting words, the disgust I felt. The shame was potent, and I could literally feel it just as I had a year before that day. It stirred me up inside so violently that it is almost as if I experienced it all over again. I lived in fear all over again, and felt traumatized by the fact that .. this rape .. was over but yet it felt as if it never really stopped happening. It made me doubt that my protections, my security was enough.. I wondered if my strength was enough to keep me going. I wondered if the fear would ever go away, or if I would never be able to let go. Or maybe it wasn't about me letting go at all, maybe I could never change the grip these events had on me. Maybe I just had to wait until it let go of me?

Five months ago I returned to the campus of the university I attended, returned to the community that welcomed and cultivated such a huge part of my life and who I am as a person. I gave so much of myself while there, and I was a trained advocate and helped many survivors with their healing process.. and recovering right after being raped or assaulted. I was the first person that many of them spoke to, after living a nightmare. After being attacked, after being violated. I returned to that place that created a hope inside of me, created a lifetime of devotion to helping survivors. I returned to a place with a new devotion- to help myself. I took a huge step in healing that day, in a way I didn't fully comprehend until after it was over. I shared my story for the first time, in a room of over 100 people. It was the first time I shared my experiences with more than two people at a time. I stood up in front of all those people, with my sister at my side, and I talked about what happened to me. I surprised myself at how strong I was, the courage it took to walk up onto that platform and speak of my horror. I had patience and compassion for myself when I had to stop a few times because I choked up with tears and when I lost my breath. I had the new found comfort with silence with me in those moments, and shared as much in those moments as I did in all of the ones I spent talking. A few women came up and hugged me after I spoke- even though they were complete strangers. They thanked ME, and I was so incredibly moved and humbled by that experience. I helped them, and I never knew I could in the way that I did. It felt .. so wonderful. I knew I made a difference, and I knew I was moving forward. I loved, appreciated and respected myself a little bit more that day.. I grew as a person that day. I blossomed, and I was rejuvenated in a beautiful way.

I just want to bring a little more hope with me this year, a little more love, a little more compassion and faith with me as this anniversary approaches. I can't predict how it will feel, I can't predict what will happen. I can only stay in my corner and take each moment as it comes. I don't live in fear anymore- and I am working to have faith in myself-- knowing that I don't have to fear it anymore. I just wanted to share... thanks as always for reading. Please feel free as always to share your stories, artwork, poetry or anything you wish to submit. I'm happy to hear from you!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Once again, with courage and clarity, you have described your journey from the depths of despair and terror to a new understanding of the healing process and the wise woman you are becoming as a result of that process. I celebrate your honesty, integrity, and capacity for self examination. I celebrate you...

Road To The Phoenix said...

Thank you so so much..

Absurd Book Nerd said...

You are so courageous. It took me over 20 years to start speaking out about my rape. Keep speaking out!

Road To The Phoenix said...

Thank you for your kind words, and for reading. I see that you're quite the active blogger, if you'd like to contribute any writing/art/expression at any time I'd be happy to put it up on the site. And no matter how long it takes, it always takes courage to speak out. I admire your strength, you survived through a lot of tough years I'm sure.

 
VISIT PHOENIX ROAD BOOKS STOREFRONT

Add to Google Reader or Homepage


Tips for New Bloggers
blogarama.com
Buzzer Hut | Promote Your Blog
Blogs Directory

DISCLAIMER:The ads displayed don't necessarily match the opinions of the admin of this site, we relinquish any responsibility for the opinions displayed within the ads and any corresponding sites. Keyword Directory